Make a Splash!
Swim Safe at New York State Parks
From pristine lakes to Olympic-size swimming pools, New York State parks abound with opportunities to swim in the summer
months. Swimming is a fun and active way to experience our parks and we welcome you to enjoy our designated swim areas.
Find a swimming beach or pool
Beach and pool operating schedules vary by park, and are available on our website. Please check the hours of operation or
call the park you are visiting directly for the most up to date information before travelling.
View some of our spectacular swimming areas in our photo gallery.
New York State parks staff and lifeguards work hard to keep our visitors safe. Remember that swimming is only allowed in
designated areas where lifeguards are present. Please adhere to park regulations and follow these simple rules to keep you
and your family safe as you swim in New York State parks:
Swim Safe at PARKS
P-AY ATTENTION TO RULES
- No Swimming signs or lack of lifeguard presence indicates that swimming is prohibited in that area
A-CKNOWLEDGE WHY RULES ARE IN PLACE
- Prohibited swim areas are often accompanied by dangers such as turbulent underwater currents, extreme cold and changing temperatures that could cause health problems, and widely varying depths. These hazards can put even good swimmers at risk
R-EPORT THOSE IN UNSAFE AREAS
- Reporting someone who is swimming in a prohibited area may just save their life
K-EEP AWAY FROM WATER'S EDGE
- Jagged rocks, slippery surfaces, murky surroundings and other hazards could turn an enjoyable day into a sudden emergency
- New York State Parks is home to 100+ developed beaches, swimming pools and spray grounds. 20 million people rely on state parks every season to cool down as summer temperatures rise
- New York State employs 1000 lifeguards to keep watch over its safe swim areas. In 2012 Parks conducted more than 4,000 water rescues across the state in these areas
- Since it can impair judgment please limit alcohol consumption when enjoying the outdoors especially near bodies of water