The Safe Skipper's Pledge
- I will assist those in need, and report any boating accident in
which I'm involved.
- My boat will have USCG approved life jackets, of the
proper size, in good condition and readily accessible.
- I will operate in a safe and careful manner, never
recklessly, and never while under the influence.
- I will understand and follow the Rules of the Road.
- I will take a boating safety course.
- I will carry the proper equipment while underway,
always in good condition and always readily accessible.
- Navigation aids serve as the road signs of the
water. I will understand and obey them
- I will understand and follow the legal requirements for operating a
- I will remember to follow the rules of safe boating, whether I am
pulling skiers or tubers, skin diving, fishing or hunting.
- If my boat has a motor, I will register it with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
View the New York State Parks' Safe Boating public service announcements to see why it is important to always wear a life jacket.