NYSOPRHP

 

Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park

Skip Navigation LinksHome : State Parks : Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park

A Brief History

  • 1868 - An article in the Poughkeepsie Journal introduced the idea of building a railroad bridge across the Hudson.
  • 1871 - The Poughkeepsie railroad bridge was chartered.
  • 1873 - The first cornerstone of the bridge was laid.
  • 1888 - The bridge opened in December and was considered a technological wonder. 1889 - Trains started crossing and at that time it was the longest bridge in the world.World War II - through the war, the bridge carried troops to be shipped overseas. At it's height, 3,500 train cars crossed the bridge on a daily basis.
  • 1974 - Fire severely damaged the tracks, ending almost a century of continuous use.
  • 1992 - Walkway Over the Hudson began its efforts to provide public access to the bridge and link rail trails on both sides of the Hudson.
  • 1998 - Walkway Over the Hudson assumed ownership of the bridge.
  • 2007 - Walkway Over the Hudson partnered with the Dyson Foundation to access public and private funding in order to transform the bridge into the world's largest pedestrian park.
  • 2008 - After a groundbreaking held in May, construction work began to transform the bridge into a pedestrian park.
  • October 3, 2009 - Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park opened to the public.
Address
Highland Entrance:
87 Haviland Road
Highland, NY 12528

Poughkeepsie Entrance:
61 Parker Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 889
Poughkeepsie, NY 12602
walkway@parks.ny.gov
Phone: (845) 834-2867
Fax: (845) 834-2868
Taconic Region
Event Highlights
  © 2014 New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. All rights reserved.