A scenic haven approximately 40 miles from New York City, Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park offers day trippers a day of fun and relaxation. The park's spacious picnic areas, which can accommodate individual families as well as large groups, may be reserved in advance. The park's mammoth pool can hold 3,500 bathers at one time! In addition the park offers a host of other activities for people of all ages to enjoy.
The park's oasis of blue water, Mohansic Lake and Crom Pond, provide excellent freshwater fishing and boating. Popular catches include bass, perch, and sun fish. A New York State Freshwater Fishing License is required. Licenses can be purchased at town halls or at a variety of sporting good stores. Both rowboats and pedal boats are available for rental; however, a regional boating permit allows visitors to launch their own rowboats, canoes or kayaks. For an additional fee, rowboat owners may also store their boats. In wintertime, the water's tree lined border provides a winter wonderland backdrop for ice skaters and ice fisherman.
For those who are content to remain in the park's picnic areas, there are many other activities to enjoy. Many picnic areas have volleyball nets and many have softball fields nearby. Two NCAA regulation basketball courts and a soccerfield are available for recreational use or league play. Sports enthusiasts may wish to try their hand at Disc golf – a short distance from the picnic areas. One can play either 9 or 18 holes. The rules and scorecards are located at the course and loaner Frisbees are available from the park office. The park's hills and trails are perfect for winter sports. The young and the young at heart will enjoy sledding or cross country skiing.
2014 Picnic Reservations, Picnic Map
2014 Park Use Information & Pool Rules
Don't miss these popular destinations and attractions within or near the park
- Swimming Pool-the swimming pool at FDR is twice the size of an Olympic sized pool and holds over 3,500 bathers at once! A must see during the summer.
- Lake Mohansic and Crom Pond-picture perfect fishing and boating.
- Pavilions and Picnic Areas-three large, rentable pavilions and 24 large, rentable picnic areas--perfect for get-togethers in any weather
- Playground-newly renovated huge playground with climbing walls and rocks, swings and more!
- Regulation basketball courts-two NCAA regulation courts with stadium spectator seating are available for recreational use or league play
- Disc Golf Course-located a short distance from the picnic areas. Play either 9 or 18 holes. Rules and scorecards are located at the course and loaner Frisbees are available from the park office.
- Concession Stands-two food and beverage concession stands located in the park, one by the pool and one by the basketball courts.