Visit the site of the Battle of Stony Point, one of the last Revolutionary War battles in the northeastern colonies. This is where Brigadier General Anthony Wayne led his corps of Continental Light Infantry in a daring midnight attack on the British, seizing the site's fortifications and taking the soldiers and camp followers at the British garrison as prisoners on July 16, 1779.
By May 1779 the war had been raging for four years and both sides were eager for a conclusion. Sir Henry Clinton, Commander-In-Chief of the British forces in America, attempted to coerce General George Washington into one decisive battle to control the Hudson River. As part of his strategy, Clinton fortified Stony Point. Washington devised a plan for Wayne to lead an attack on the garrison. Armed with bayonets only, the infantry captured the fort in short order, ending British control of the river.
The Stony Point Lighthouse, built in 1826, is the oldest lighthouse on the Hudson River. De-commissioned in 1925, it now stands as a historical reminder of the importance of lighthouses to commerce on the Hudson River. The opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 unleashed a surge of commercial navigation along the Hudson River, by linking New York city to America's heartland. Within a year, the first of the Hudson's fourteen lights shone at Stony Point and others soon followed, designed to safely guide maritime travel along the river. Many light keepers, including several remarkable women such as Nancy and Melinda Rose at Stony Point, made their homes in the lighthouse complexes, and ensured that these important navigational signals never failed to shine.
The site features a museum, which offers exhibits on the battle and the Stony Point Lighthouse, as well as interpretive programs, such as reenactments highlighting 18th century military life, cannon and musket firings, cooking demonstrations, and children's activities and blacksmith demonstrations.
No Pets Allowed
Museum & Grounds:
The Museum is closed for the season and will reopen on April 15, 2017.
Grounds only, winter hours: From November 1, 2016 to April 15, 2017, the grounds are open weekdays only from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., weather and staffing permitting. Closed Thanksgiving Day (November 24th) , Christmas (December 26th ) and New Year's (January 2). According to the Comptroller's Office, since both Christmas and New Year's fall on Sundays, they are being treated as Monday holidays. The site is closed on WEEKENDS, no access is permitted.
April 15th 2017, the site museum and living history camp will reopen with the following activities:
Group (school, scout and organizations,) tours are available. Information can be found here.
18th Century Living History Military Camp: Open Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Sunday from 12:00 Noon to 4:00 p.m., staffing and weather permitting.
Historic sites charge a vehicle use fee and/or admittance fee at various times and locations throughout the year. A list of fees is available below. For program fees or to verify information, please contact the site directly.
Access to the Battlefield is free to visitors during regular hours. Donations are welcome. Some program fees for tours and evening events are charged, please call the site for information.
Group Tours: For organized group (school, scout and organizations,) tours are offered Wednesday to Sunday by advance reservation only and are limited to availability of staff and weather. Please call the site office three months in advance for school visits and three weeks in advance for scout and organizations to book a tour of the Battlefield. Fees apply.